Running Low on Sencha - What to do...

Non-oxidized tea
Noonie

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:31 pm

I have a bag opened at home, one at work, and only one in reserve. Seems like months ago I had a full fridge :o

I'm wondering if I should order more or wait, from two perspectives - first is 2019 vs. 2020 harvests. If I wait I'll be drinking other tea that isn't as much of a favourite as sencha, but good in that that other tea is only getting worse as time goes on (2019 spring harvest Alishan, 250g bag). But then my money will go towards fresh tea that I can buy a lot of and get better value with shipping (Thes Du Japon, or other vendors with the free shipping minimums). Other perspective is covid-19...I have not read anything about this and tea production, and I wouldn't think it's a factor, but thought I would figure this out before deciding.

Thoughts?
DailyTX

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Noonie wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:31 pm
I have a bag opened at home, one at work, and only one in reserve. Seems like months ago I had a full fridge :o

I'm wondering if I should order more or wait, from two perspectives - first is 2019 vs. 2020 harvests. If I wait I'll be drinking other tea that isn't as much of a favourite as sencha, but good in that that other tea is only getting worse as time goes on (2019 spring harvest Alishan, 250g bag). But then my money will go towards fresh tea that I can buy a lot of and get better value with shipping (Thes Du Japon, or other vendors with the free shipping minimums). Other perspective is covid-19...I have not read anything about this and tea production, and I wouldn't think it's a factor, but thought I would figure this out before deciding.

Thoughts?
@Noonie
I had the similar contemplation last month when I heard insects destroying crops and it was slowly migrating to South East Asian. Just a speculation that I think Pu-erh price will go up for new harvest in 2020. With Pu-erh, I think at least 5 years of age would be a good time to start drinking them, so I think the overall price may not impact so greatly unless someone purposely go after 2020 Pu Erh production. As for Sencha, Tieguanyin, and other tea that's highly desirable when it's fresh, I think the price will increase. The other thread mentioned about Costco's Japanese green tea. I was intrigue enough to purchased a box last month. I opened 2 weeks ago, it tastes pretty good, and it will be a good office option ;)
pedant
Admin

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:48 pm

i'd order just what you need to get by until 2020 harvest is here
Victoria
Admin

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 pm

If I was running on low I’d get gyokuro right now, it’s a perfect time to have it since it ages nicely a few months after it’s made available, typically September or later. I can recommend higher grade gyokuro from Maiko, O-cha, Ippodo, Thes du Japon.
faj

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 pm
If I was running on low I’d get gyokuro right now
Gyokuro as a consolation prize while waiting for sencha... Interesting, if unexpected, concept. :)

As far as I am concerned, I think I would generalize by saying that for any value of X, "If X I’d get gyokuro right now".
Tor

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:08 am

If you don’t mind shincha, they’ll be ready in less than 2 months. Some people prefer more matured sencha though.
Vanenbw

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm

This may have been discussed in another thread; sorry if I missed it, but is the spread of the virus affecting the production and shipment of tea from China and Japan? I recently purchased several packages of tea from O-cha and Thes Du Japon. I also tried the kabusecha from Birouen Tea House (love it by the way). I will want to order more tea soon, although I should be okay for a while. I'm just wondering how what's transpiring across the world now is going to impact my delivery.
Victoria
Admin

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Vanenbw wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm
This may have been discussed in another thread; sorry if I missed it, but is the spread of the virus affecting the production and shipment of tea from China and Japan? I recently purchased several packages of tea from O-cha and Thes Du Japon. I also tried the kabusecha from Birouen Tea House (love it by the way). I will want to order more tea soon, although I should be okay for a while. I'm just wondering how what's transpiring across the world now is going to impact my delivery.
The thread you are looking for is Corona Virus. Speed of shipping will vary by country. Spring hadn’t arrived yet so I don’t think we can know how that harvest will be affected yet.
Vanenbw

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Thank you, @Victoria. I was aware of the thread, but I didn't see any new posts. A lot has changed in just the last several days, so it may not be relevant now. Fortunately I'm in good shape between all my green teas and my large purchase from Verdant last month. We will have to see how this plays out over the next several months.
Noonie

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm

I ended up ordering from a vendor here in Canada, 4 x 50g for now. I can order from them again as needed, and may wait to order online from Japanese vendors until things have settled down, including our Canadian dollar.
faj

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Noonie wrote:
I ended up ordering from a vendor here in Canada, 4 x 50g for now.
Would I be too curious to ask which vendor and teas you ordered?
Noonie

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:13 pm

faj wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:07 pm
Noonie wrote:
I ended up ordering from a vendor here in Canada, 4 x 50g for now.
Would I be too curious to ask which vendor and teas you ordered?
Camellia Sinensis
faj

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Noonie wrote:
Camellia Sinensis
I know them. I actually purchased almost all my teas from them prior to joining the forum.
Noonie

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am

faj wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm
Noonie wrote:
Camellia Sinensis
I know them. I actually purchased almost all my teas from them prior to joining the forum.
We had planned to visit family in Montreal over March break, and I always stop by there for a long tea session. Was going to pick up some tea in person when I was there. We decided not to go right now given the virus. Would rather visit during happier times. Probably half my teaware is from Camellia Sinensis - I really like everything about their shop.
Bok
Vendor

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 pm

“Running low on Sencha, what to do?” Panic buy toilet paper! Ah wrong situation :)

Sorry, couldn’t help it, every time I see this headline, that reply popped into my mind...

Hope everyone is fine and don’t forget to laugh!