What Green Are You Drinking

Non-oxidized tea
Bok
Vendor

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 am

@carogust they do drink from the brewing vessel because they are lazy... or don’t really care about all the nuances the tea would otherwise have to offer.
carogust

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:35 am

Bok wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 am
carogust they do drink from the brewing vessel because they are lazy... or don’t really care about all the nuances the tea would otherwise have to offer.

I guess... It is definitely easy going, but with just that little tiny bit of extra effort of pouring the tea into a cup, you get much better results...
tealifehk
Vendor

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 am

Finished off some sejak my girlfriend picked up in Seoul (Osulloc). I brewed up the last of the bag and there was a fair bit of crushed leaf. At 75 C (approx), I had an amazing session! I brewed 'gongfaux' style with relatively short infusions (and lots of them) and it was the best session I've had with the tea yet. Both sweet and umami notes, and some medjool date and cantaloupe in the aftertaste. A pretty good tea, but I get some really good organic stuff from China much more easily, so if I buy another can, it'll be to share with my K-Pop obsessed buddies who would love to drink something Korean!
Janice

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:11 pm

Today is a Leafy Green Day. I began with Yamenohana Matcha, which is their (relatively) inexpensive matcha. The first time I prepared it the bitterness overwhelmed the other flavors. Now I find that the bitterness is more than compensated for by a flavor profile that I feel is complex for this price range. And notice the amazing foam that I achieved today....

I followed that with their Tai Ping Hou Kui. I think it’s early enough for a 3rd tea so I’m going to open the Leafy Green tencha.

2341A97C-A975-4860-A007-7CB1E5B1BB33.jpeg
2341A97C-A975-4860-A007-7CB1E5B1BB33.jpeg (272.81 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
chofmann
Vendor

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Janice wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:11 pm
Today is a Leafy Green Day. I began with Yamenohana Matcha, which is their (relatively) inexpensive matcha. The first time I prepared it the bitterness overwhelmed the other flavors. Now I find that the bitterness is more than compensated for by a flavor profile that I feel is complex for this price range. And notice the amazing foam that I achieved today....

I followed that with their Tai Ping Hou Kui. I think it’s early enough for a 3rd tea so I’m going to open the Leafy Green tencha.

2341A97C-A975-4860-A007-7CB1E5B1BB33.jpeg
Glad you liked the Yamenohana! It certainly isn't the best matcha, but we love it for the price. The tencha is fantastic as well, especially cold brewed. Just full of umami.
LuckyMe

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:42 pm

I've been working my way through Verdant's spring teas. I bought a sample of every green tea in their store which are basically different varietals of Laoshan and Long Jing teas.

Finished off the Spring Reserve Laoshan Bilochun today which was really delicate and tasty. Photo:

Also working on the 1st Picking Shi Feng Longjing #43. A very good classic tasting dragonwell though their regular FF dragonwell was even better.
pedant
Admin

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm

@LuckyMe cool shibo, where's it from?
LuckyMe

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 pm

pedant wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
LuckyMe cool shibo, where's it from?
Thanks, this is a Sawa Houzan shibo from Yunomi. Even though it's designed for Japanese tea, ironically it performs the worst with sencha. Chinese greens and other kinds of teas though work great in it.
carogust

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 am

Drank yunnan sourcings "Imperial Lu Shan Yun Wu Green Tea of Jiangxi". Second green tea on my order. I was personally quite shocked that I burned through the longjing so fast, only had the desire to drink that. Who knows, maybe I'd enjoy japanese green as much as others seem to. I find it odd that chinese greens don't seem to have as much of an audience...
I enjoyed this as much as the longjing.

Shockingly strong aftertaste, that has good spicy notes in the throat, very strong cheek action, lingering aromatics and I am very aware of my breathe, as it seems to coat the whole digestive track till the stomach, just like a good pu-erh. Smooth and cloud like, special sweetness and melts on your tongue. Aromatics range from something reminding of pines, to very tropical, exotic ripe fruits.
A pleasantly light experience, but still robust and present.
pedant
Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:22 pm

i'm drinking a kamairicha from thés du japon. "misho-zairai-en" yamacha from tosa. semi-wild mountain tea -- apparently seed-grown plants from old gardens that have partially extended via unsupervised natural propagation. i haven't had a japanese tea like it before. floral, medicinal, herbaceous. lots of rose and a bit of pepper. long deep aftertaste. not sure i'd necessarily buy more of it, but i'm enjoying this small 30g pouch.

jozan4-kamairicha.jpg
jozan4-kamairicha.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 6607 times
Victoria
Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:33 pm

@pedant and I’m enjoying seeing your gorgeous Emu kyusu next to the chawan with all the reflections. The horizontal bands are something else. Really nice. Sencha sounds good too :) .
d.manuk

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I am drinking Fujikaori Kamairicha from Kettl. I've never heard of or had this kind of green tea before, and it has a very unique smell that I've never smelled before. The dry leaf aroma when sitting in a heated pot is very unique -- Nutty, floral, and rainbow aroma? Rainbow in the sense that it seems to encompass a very wide spectrum of aromas that blend beautifully. Definitely my favorite aspect of this tea.

The brewed leaves smell like the website description -- jasmine and Concord grape. I definitely taste a lot of jasmine in the tea, but to my knowledge it isn't scented in any way and this is just the processing and tea leaf. It's made from the "rare Fujikaori cultivar." I brewed it at the recommended 190F but will try to decrease the temperature and hope some of the jasmine goes away to make way for some more subtle flavors, I'd prefer to taste a lot more of the grape.
Noonie

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am

Shine Magical wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm
I am drinking Fujikaori Kamairicha from Kettl. I've never heard of or had this kind of green tea before, and it has a very unique smell that I've never smelled before. The dry leaf aroma when sitting in a heated pot is very unique -- Nutty, floral, and rainbow aroma? Rainbow in the sense that it seems to encompass a very wide spectrum of aromas that blend beautifully. Definitely my favorite aspect of this tea.

The brewed leaves smell like the website description -- jasmine and Concord grape. I definitely taste a lot of jasmine in the tea, but to my knowledge it isn't scented in any way and this is just the processing and tea leaf. It's made from the "rare Fujikaori cultivar." I brewed it at the recommended 190F but will try to decrease the temperature and hope some of the jasmine goes away to make way for some more subtle flavors, I'd prefer to taste a lot more of the grape.
I noticed that tea when I was at Kettl back in June - I should have got some! But we can always say that when buying tea...
Elise

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:22 am

pedant wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:22 pm
i'm drinking a kamairicha from thés du japon. "misho-zairai-en" yamacha from tosa. semi-wild mountain tea -- apparently seed-grown plants from old gardens that have partially extended via unsupervised natural propagation. i haven't had a japanese tea like it before. floral, medicinal, herbaceous. lots of rose and a bit of pepper. long deep aftertaste. not sure i'd necessarily buy more of it, but i'm enjoying this small 30g pouch.

jozan4-kamairicha.jpg
And one more beautiful picture here... this kyusu is a true beauty.
Noonie

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 am

Victoria wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:33 pm
pedant and I’m enjoying seeing your gorgeous Emu kyusu next to the chawan with all the reflections. The horizontal bands are something else. Really nice. Sencha sounds good too :) .
Love the teapot, and the curve of the cup is fantastic!