What Green Are You Drinking

Non-oxidized tea
d.manuk

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:24 am
Shine Magical wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 am
I just finished drinking Sumire sencha from kettl co.
It's so good, I liked it a lot. I think I liked it just as much if not more than Aoi from Tsuen.

I realized that I can't drink sencha hot anymore really, I believe that since the leaves are not whole but chopped up, they irritate my stomach too much. It's the same with cheap sheng puer, the chopped up leaves make the brew irritate my stomach while whole leaf sheng is fine. I am very interested in trying whole leaf sencha though, I believe Hojo sells some and will be trying it out. It's a shame because I really like the sencha flavor. Has anyone heard of whole leaf gyokuro?

I ended up cold brewing half of the package because I didn't want to irritate my stomach anymore, as I get more experienced as a tea drinker I am more aware of these more subtle types of effects on my body. I hope I was still able to get a lot of the beneficial properties of the tea while cold brewing, it still tasted pretty good though. :D
Try brewing a little cooler! Drop temperature 5 to 10 Celsius and you might be fine after. If I brew sencha too hot, I suffer!
It usually doesn't taste as good, I usually like 175F sencha the best.
tealifehk
Vendor

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 pm
tealifehk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:24 am
Shine Magical wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 am
I just finished drinking Sumire sencha from kettl co.
It's so good, I liked it a lot. I think I liked it just as much if not more than Aoi from Tsuen.

I realized that I can't drink sencha hot anymore really, I believe that since the leaves are not whole but chopped up, they irritate my stomach too much. It's the same with cheap sheng puer, the chopped up leaves make the brew irritate my stomach while whole leaf sheng is fine. I am very interested in trying whole leaf sencha though, I believe Hojo sells some and will be trying it out. It's a shame because I really like the sencha flavor. Has anyone heard of whole leaf gyokuro?

I ended up cold brewing half of the package because I didn't want to irritate my stomach anymore, as I get more experienced as a tea drinker I am more aware of these more subtle types of effects on my body. I hope I was still able to get a lot of the beneficial properties of the tea while cold brewing, it still tasted pretty good though. :D
Try brewing a little cooler! Drop temperature 5 to 10 Celsius and you might be fine after. If I brew sencha too hot, I suffer!
It usually doesn't taste as good, I usually like 175F sencha the best.
Gotcha, I had issues when I brewed sencha too hot/drank the leaf at the bottom of the cup. Now that I keep temp constant at around 175 and discard the leaf dust at the bottom of the cup, I have no issues at all. I drink sencha almost every day (after a matcha start)!
Victoria
Admin

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Continuing with rich green and very fresh O-Cha Sae Midori steeped at 155f maximum. With sencha my top top limit might get to 175f, but usually I keep it between 140-165f. Lower temps, with slightly longer steeps, brings out sweeter notes, keeping bitterness at bay.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Savoring Kagoshima Seicha's very special Organic Roasted Sencha. This might be one of my favorite senchas, it is rich with subtle notes of evergreen and a warming body of sweet chestnuts and yam. It does not present any bitterness that its greener counterparts might impart. Yuki Tomiyama kindly shared this with me for our tastings here in LA. I wish they would make it available for sale, it seems they only make it once a year, if that. I tried roasting my own sencha with a sesame roaster, but so far haven't achieved stellar results. I probably need to roast longer than 10 minutes, and need to increase temperature without cracking the ceramic roaster.

Steeped in Jozan III kyusu, and using a Hoya crystal pitcher, with a paper thin porcelain cup from the collection of Sensei Rev. Kensho Furuya, founder of Aikido Center of Los Angeles. Also from his collection, I am using an early 20th century mogake yuzamashi to measure the needles.

Roasted Sencha KagoshimaL1000972.jpg
Roasted Sencha KagoshimaL1000972.jpg (597.55 KiB) Viewed 9088 times

Roasted Sencha Kagoshima Jozan III Hoya L1000978.jpg
Roasted Sencha Kagoshima Jozan III Hoya L1000978.jpg (809.67 KiB) Viewed 9088 times
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Looks lovely Victoria.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Jo wrote:
Looks lovely Victoria.
Thanks Jo, wish I was sharing it with you.
Jo
Mrs. Chip

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:54 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm
Jo wrote:
Looks lovely Victoria.
Thanks Jo, wish I was sharing it with you.
Victoria, that will happen one day.
Let Chip and I know when you will be coming east, hopefully we can hook up one day. 8-)
Victoria
Admin

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Oh, a mistake made in heaven; mixed up my notes for two Tsuen I've had recently, so steeped O-Cha's Tsuen Sencha Aoi -per notes for Tsuen Uji Gyokuro Yume no Ukihashi. The mistake led to much better results than what I'd noted to myself. I steeped much much cooler than recommended by O-Cha and by my own notes, went from 165f down to 135f, and increase time from 1 minute to 2. Steeped at 1.7gr:1oz/135f/2min. the brew was deliciously rich smooth sweet greens, with a very pleasant astringency. Not bitter like last time when I steeped at 1gr:1oz/165f/1min., just under the 170f recommended by vendor.

Steeped in Emu 230ml shudei kyusu, and sipping out of Taisuke Shiraiwa thin undulating cup, after receiving in his yuzamashi.

O-Cha Tsuen Sencha Aoi _Emu & Taisuke Shiraiwa L1010002.jpg
O-Cha Tsuen Sencha Aoi _Emu & Taisuke Shiraiwa L1010002.jpg (770.69 KiB) Viewed 8950 times
d.manuk

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Having 2018 Shu Hon Long Jing from Hojo.

I'm giving it a 3.5/5 since I've had better Longjing, but it wasn't expensive either.
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Shine Magical wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm
Having 2018 Shu Hon Long Jing from Hojo.

I'm giving it a 3.5/5 since I've had better Longjing, but it wasn't expensive either.
How did it compare to the one’s you tried here in Santa Monica?
Victoria
Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 pm

On a green roll here; opened a very special competition grade Sae Midori from O-Cha, lightly steamed Satsuma Sae Midori. Elegant umami brothy notes, less vegetal green than his Sae Midori, with no bitterness if steeped correctly. A wonderful brothy, cloudy liquor in second steep, 1st & 3rd are clearer. Steeped at 7gr/207ml (7oz)/160f/60sec. Next time I'll try slightly more leaf to see if I get a little more depth. Wonderful as is though.

Satsuma Sae Midori Sencha & Taisuke Shiraiwa yuzamashi L1010008.jpg
Satsuma Sae Midori Sencha & Taisuke Shiraiwa yuzamashi L1010008.jpg (687.65 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
in Taisuke Shiraiwa's yuzamashi.
Pedro_lres

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 am

Yerterday I receive my order from o-cha of the Satsuma sae midori sencha. It has been quite timely.

Thank Victoria for your coments and photos. In particular, I love the Taisuke Shiraiwa cup.
Victoria
Admin

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Pedro_lres wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 am
Yerterday I receive my order from o-cha of the Satsuma sae midori sencha. It has been quite timely.

Thank Victoria for your coments and photos. In particular, I love the Taisuke Shiraiwa cup.
Oh, it is so smooth, umami good. I’m wondering how it is processed differently than O-Cha’s other much greener Sae Midori, and if it’s slightly aged (even though it’s sold as shincha), leading to warm yellow liquor. I hope you let it rest a few days after it’s travel, and then after opening, and resealing with clip, let it rest another 24 hours. It will taste a lot better doing this.
tealifehk
Vendor

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 pm

O-Cha's cheapest organic matcha!

https://www.o-cha.com/uji-organic-match ... gory_id=27

This stuff isn't bad at all and is very good value. Less interesting than their supreme, but great effect and only mildly bitter. I bought one of their mid-grade organic matchas as well for comparison. I'm surprised how good this stuff is for the money! I've been starting every morning off with matcha since I first tried it a few months ago.
Victoria
Admin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:21 pm

tealifehk wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 pm
O-Cha's cheapest organic matcha!

https://www.o-cha.com/uji-organic-match ... gory_id=27

This stuff isn't bad at all and is very good value. Less interesting than their supreme, but great effect and only mildly bitter. I bought one of their mid-grade organic matchas as well for comparison. I'm surprised how good this stuff is for the money! I've been starting every morning off with matcha since I first tried it a few months ago.
Curious that matcha is working well with you Jay, since it is very high in caffeine. Do you notice this as well?