What Green Are You Drinking

Non-oxidized tea
LeoFox

Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:12 am

caj wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:08 am
Hmm, thank you! I probably steeped too long.
Apologies for my shorthand-ratio format, I will write them out from now on. x:y is tea leaf to water in g. So 1:100 is 1g leaf to 100g water (very close to 100ml water, for all intents and purposes). In the first couple days, it was formally 2g to 200ml water. The third day was vendor's ratio of about 4g to 200ml. This one went bitter if I didn't watch the time looking back over my notes - I am aware of debunix' strategy to water down bitterness, which kind of works but I'd rather avoid that, so in this case, the good news is I've inadvertently discovered the limit so I can continue to fully enjoy this tea :)
Based on info I can gather, these are relatively young cuttings from some cultivar that has been growing in Hawaii - likely Japanese. Therefore, these teas may benefit from cooler infusions. Maybe try 75 C , 4-5 g / 100 ml starting at around 40s. Then 15s, then 50s
debunix

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:31 am

Today I had an absolutely perfect infusion of Tsuen Aoi sencha, by way of a recent order from O-Cha. It is rich, sweet,mellow, with just enough astringency to be sencha and not a mellow light roast oolong. Love this. The second infusion is also fantastic. It's been a while since I've ordered from O-Cha, and I stocked up with several packages of this particular sencha. So fine.